News 23/1 – Earnings Data. Mental Health. NZers in Oz.
January 23rd 2013 at 8:38am, By ED Staff
Well, I gave away 13/14 books yesterday and some had up to 6 requests – nice to find new homes for them, Dave.
Policy, Management & People
- Earnings Data Steven Joyce has welcomed a new MOE report (available here) that looks at differences in incomes and employment rates for different qualifications (Fairfax, ODT, Radiolive, Idealog, 3 News, Newstalk ZB, Radio NZ). Students (TVNZ) and Grant Robertson (TelstraClear) say the stats are nothing new, and APEX president Peter Gene disputes the figures for medical grads.
- Postgrad Allowances Grant Robertson says it isn’t fair to deny student allowances to postgrad students part way through their qualifications, and an Otago Uni student feels duped by the changes.
- Illegal Images Former Massey lecturer Neville Honey has been fined $5000 and sentenced to 15 months supervision after admitting 25 charges of possessing objectionable material.
- WITT… needs increased govt funding, say business leaders after a glowing report of its regional economic impact.
- Extras: summer school enrolments up 9% at Otago Uni.
Research & Innovation
- Beached Whales… in Invercargill being studied by Otago Uni’s Prof Ewan Fordyce.
- Mental Health… is improved and psychological distress reduced after the birth of a parent’s first child, according to Otago Uni’s Sarah McKenzie and Kristie Carter (TelstraClear, ODT, 3 News).
- Cat Killers Otago Uni research suggests domestic cats have a significant impact on native wildlife, while Unitec’s Mark Farnworth estimates there are 1.4 million cats nation-wide.
- NZers in Oz… are generally proud of their heritage but change their accent, says Canterbury’s Rosemary Baird (Yahoo, NZ Herald, 3 News).
- E-Learning Canterbury’s Julie Mackey and Prof Niki Davis are studying how school principals can effectively lead e-learning to improve student success.
- Extras: Auckland’s Prof Lynnette Ferguson on diet and inflammation; Otago Uni student researching southern right whale sounds.
- Googling Jurors… by lawyers could raise ethical issues depending on what the info is used for, says Auckland’s Prof Warren Brookbanks.
- Genetic Testing Otago Uni’s Dee Mangin is alarmed by the increasing popularity of internet-based genetic testing services.
- Cathedral Landmark Canterbury’s Stefano Pampanin says Bob Parker’s plan for the Christchurch Cathedral is achievable.
- Burger Ads AUT’s Martin Waiguny on the use of social media by the Carl’s Jr burger chain.
- Extras: Laidlaw’s Peter Carrell on life in NZ; Auckland’s Steven Tatuva on Fiji’s electoral system; Auckland’s Cheryl Krull on kauri dieback disease; adviser defends Gottfried Lindauer work from Victoria’s Roger Blakeley’s fake claims.
- African OE Two Massey grads are planning to visit Jinja, Uganda, to work with a creative industries business.
- Volunteers Five WelTec plumbing grads are volunteering to help repair cyclone damage in Samoa.
- Extras: Richie McCaw reportedly dating Massey student and Black Sticks midfielder Gemma Flynn.
- Oil and Gas Dunedin City Council and Otago Regional Council reps attended a presentation at Otago Uni on the next round of petroleum exploration permits.
- Victoria… will collaborate with the Mental Health Foundation on a series of Maori suicide seminars.
- Science Internships Five Waikato students are working at Hill Laboratories over the summer.
- BOPP Restaurant One married couple has been dining at BOPP’s Atrium training restaurant for 16 years.
- Waiariki… has partnered with Rotorua District Council and local suppliers to create the Woodfirst Product Design comp for senior students and youth aged 15-18.
Teaching & Learning
- Recipes Otago Uni’s Daniel Pfyl shares an animal-friendly dairy and egg-free chocolate cake recipe.
- Skill Shortages Aoraki recommends focusing study choices towards industries with skill shortages.
- Nanny Course Aoraki has been accredited to offer the NZ Certificate in Nanny Education (Level 5).
- Youth Guarantee… places still available at Aoraki.
- Extras: Massey grad finalist in iD Emerging Designer Awards.