News 26/4 – Journals Storage. ANZAC. Bar Behaviour.
April 26th 2012 at 8:56am, By Dave Guerin
Canterbury’s security scare yesterday was the second this year to result in evacuations (Victoria was earlier), but it’s nothing like the University of Pittsburgh, which has had over 100 bomb threats since mid-February (they just stopped).
Policy, Management & People
- Canterbury Cuts The You are UC student campaign is holding a theatrical BBQ today to protest cuts – they want the HR dept cut instead.
- Canterbury Scare Canterbury had an anonymous threat to their James Hight building and evacuated it, but Police later gave the all clear even though the G-G was attending an event there (NBR, APNZ, NZN, Fairfax).
- Journals Storage All eight universities have developed a national journals storage approach – this has been talked about for so long, I had assumed it was done years ago.
- Middle East Students…choose us because we’re friendly and it’s easy to get a visa, which is probably much cheaper to achieve than excellent institutions.
- Asian Business Grads Asia NZ has released some research on the experiences of Asian business grads (NewstalkZB, One News).
- Extras: big surplus for SIT; MBIE proceeding; WITT looks back at the start of Maori language and STAR courses.
Research & Innovation
- Poverty Otago Uni’s Prof David Fergusson reports on longitudinal research showing childhood poverty affects adult earnings and quals, but not mental health or criminal activity (RNZ, NZN, Fairfax). He also had comment on youth mortality (NZN).
- Gambling Another Otago Uni longitudinal research study shows that moody toddlers are more likely to be adult problem gamblers (NZ Herald, ODT, NZ Herald).
- Business Relevance Massey’s Christoph Schumacher has just taken up a Prof in Innovation and Economics role and is co-leading a new Auckland Knowledge Exchange Hub for the Uni.
- Extras: Otago Uni 1080 study.
- ANZAC A Whitecliffe student painted a cool mural on an RSA (full shot here, NZ Herald). The Student Volunteer Army received the RSA ANZAC award (RNZ) from the G-G at Canterbury even after the security scare mentioned above. Massey’s Nick Nelson on dopey journalist’s comments. Otago Uni’s Richard Jackson on poppy colours and Peter Matheson seeming to use ANZAC Day to protect religious holidays and Prof Judith Bennett on people tracking their WW2 American servicemen parents. Victoria Uni students marking ANZAC Day.
- Bad Diet Foods…have been listed by Otago Uni’s Jane Elmslie.
- Tobacco Waikato’s Steve Lim on possible black-market tobacco sales.
- Extras: Auckland computer game to fight depression (NewstalkZB); Unitec’s Dushko Bogunovich on Auckland density; Auckland’s Cameron Grant on kids eating meat; Otago Uni’s Shyamala Nada-Raja on male youth suicide and Peter Dearden on varroa (ODT) and Prof Robert Patman on the French elections; AUT’s Prof Max Abbott on pokies and Dave Nibby on the new Telecom CE; Waikato’s Mary Foster on an Auckland elephant; Otago Poly’s Daniel Pfyl makes pudding; Auckland’s Prof John Fraser on superbugs; euthanasia forum at Otago Uni; Laidlaw’s Mark Keown on paid parental leave.
- Critical Friend? The Otago Uni student newspaper has a new university advisory board and the ODT has an update on how it’s going.
- Bar Behaviour A student politician went all out in supporting two lesbian Victoria students kicked out of a bar, but it seems the story is not as clear as it first appeared (NZ Herald).
- Rowing Otago Uni rowers are off to race in the US.
- Extras: AUT triathlete; SIT swimming coach; NZ students at paper plane champs; OUSA bought out of Unipol recreation centre; Media Design School student off to Santa Fe; Victoria student playing rugby in Napier.
- Robot Champs A Massey supported school team won the robotics world champs again and Massey’s Johan Potgieter was inducted into the champs’ hall of fame.
- Extras: small business conference at Massey; CPIT grad’s extreme sports film.
Teaching & Learning
- Top teachers Massey has named its top teachers: Elizabeth Gray, Liz Norman, Zoe Jordens and Amanda Yates.
- No Comments
- Tags: Asia NZ, AUT, CPIT, Laidlaw College, Massey University, MBIE, Media Design School, Otago Polytechnic, SIT, Unitec, Universities NZ, University of Auckland, University of Canterbury, University of Otago, University of Waikato, Victoria University of Wellington, Whitecliffe College of Art and Design, WITT
- Categories: Export Education|ITPs|Policy|PTEs|Students|Teaching & Learning|TEO Sector Groups|Tertiary Education|Universities