Chch Quake Update
February 22nd 2011 at 1:10pm, By Dave Guerin
There has been an enormous quake in Chch (GeoNet) and those checking websites and TV will have seen some very disturbing images. And the PM just confirmed 65 deaths, with more likely to come.
As with the last quake in September, I will be updating tertiary education news as it becomes available. I’ll just use this post today so come back to the site and look again if you’re getting this by email and want to see an update later.
If anyone has an update email me on firstname.lastname@example.org or add a comment.
- 6.25pm TEC has official info on campus closures for TEIs and you can ring their Service Centre for PTE/ITO info, which they might have. They got it up within 5 hours, which is good work. Good work by TEC. MOE has also put up an update for international students and parents. Again, it’s prompt.
- University of Canterbury has closed the campus but some doctors are at Student Health, a Canterbury student has put a short update on Scoop (but Twitter is overwhelmed with updates under #eqnz).
- Lincoln University has evacuated campus buildings (via Facebook). 3.40pm Everyone’s safe and they have Internet access but are trying to avoid phones.
- CPIT’s website seems to be down at the moment. 6.25pm Campus closed.
- 2.41 pm Aoraki Polytechnic has confirmed “all students and staff from both Moorhouse and QEII Christchurch Campuses are safe and accounted for. There is damage to the QEII building. All students have gone home.”
- 2.48pm Seen a King’s Education sign (an English language school and offers other courses to international students) on a pile of rubble on TV, then saw that they were based in CTV building, and have also seen the CTV logo atop a pile of rubble. Hope everyone’s OK but very worried about that image. 3.40pm Just saw the images again on TV and it looks like all that is left of the six story building is the stairwell. Image is below – the white sign just to the left of the centre of the photo is the King’s Education one.
- 3.40pm NZ Career College CE Feroz Ali write “NZCC campus damaged in Christchurch, Staff Injured. Our thoughts and prayers are with our Students, staff and their family”
- University of Otago 3.40pm All staff and students safe, campus closed.
- Natcoll some students interviewed on TV3 and were safe
- 6.25pm Avonmore staff and students fine, campuses closed, on building badly damaged.
- Tai Poutini Polytechnic Buildings damaged, campus closed
- Te Wananga o Aotearoa Campuses closed (via Facebook)
- ATTTO staff safe (via Twitter)
- KAREN has had some faults at the University of Canterbury (and those connected through it) but the core network is OK.
- (4) Comments
- Tags: ATTTO, Avonmore Tertiary Institute, Christchurch Quake, CPIT, King's Education, Lincoln University, MOE, Natcoll, NZ Career College, Tai Poutini Polytechnic, TEC, TWOA, University of Canterbury
- Categories: Facilities & Equipment|ITPs|Tertiary Education|Universities