News 31/8 – Blog Paper, SIT’s Lower $$ and Wgtn Buildings
August 31st 2010 at 7:48am, By Dave Guerin
- A Use for Yesterday’s Blogs A Massey grad has had his work selected for the Anti Design festival in London. He created Blog Roll by developing a software programme that takes the content of any blog and prints it through a fax machine into a 45-metre long roll of one-ply paper. Hmm, maybe there’s my corporate gift this year!
- SIT’s Investment Plan It seems that SIT will lose 220 ESOL EFTS next year (to be redistributed to Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch), gain 20 Youth Guarantee EFTS and is facing a review over 38 aviation EFTS. The 220 EFTS equal $1.3m, on top of the ending of $3.2m in other funds.
- Wellington Buildings Victoria University is converting another commercial office building into 241 student apartments. You can check out the location here. It’s a relatively new building and has light on all sides, which will make it quite pleasant, as well as being in a great location for Vic’s campuses. WelTec is also rumoured to take over the old Hoyts movie complex in Wellington’s Manners Mall (well, it’ll be a bus route soon!) for its hospitality programmes. I can’t remember the source for that rumour – maybe Capital Times.
- Young Parents Here’s a nice long story about a YMCA programme for young parents (and their children) in Timaru.
- Letters to the Editor A grumpy ex student of Tairawhiti Polytechnic wrote in to the Gisborne Herald challenging dropout rates, staff absenteeism and other issues. The Poly CE Judy Campbell responded in detail and made a good case.
- Cow Efficiency A Lincoln University doctoral candidate is developing a simple non-invasive method to measure the efficiency with which cows convert feed protein to milk protein.
- Good Grounds University of Waikato groundskeeper Leigh Harrison will compete to become the National Horticulturist of the Year in November after winning the Young Amenity Horticulturist of the Year award.
- Wine Stories A Lincoln grad is NZ’s top young viticulturist (another one came second), an Italian exchange student at EIT is profiled and a Lincoln Uni academic advises on wine marketing.
- Bits and Pieces An Otago Poly fashion grad is having great success. The Unitec School of Architecture is undertaking a study for a large-scale garden concept for Birkenhead. Here’s a profile of some NorthTec hospitality students. Auckland Uni is running a songwriting competition. The Uni Snow Games are on this week, with 150 competitors. A Unitec student polished hundreds of old coins for her Wearable Arts Awards entry.
- (2) Comments
- Tags: Design, EIT, Lincoln University, Massey University, NorthTec, Otago Polytechnic, SIT, Tairawhiti Polytechnic, Unitec, University of Auckland, University of Waikato, Victoria University of Wellington, WelTec
- Categories: Facilities & Equipment|Funding|ITPs|Policy|PTEs|Students|Tertiary Education|Universities